Friday, May 14, 2010

My demon.

Let me introduce you to my delicious demon. Why do I call it that you are wondering..... b/c how could something so heavenly be a demon? Well, I must admit that not only brownies but any sort of baked good is my guilty pleasure that happens way to often. I am on a quest to "reduce" my intake of these wonderful treats that have become part of my food pyramid diet.

I am starting off small b/c after all "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step" and I am way too addicted to sugar. Everything in moderation is my theory and I feel I could do better in the sugar department.

SO you are probably wondering...Why the big deal? Well, just to get a little healthier and to reduce my risk of future diabetes symptoms(something that runs in my family). I have been very close to gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies and my husband and statistics inform me that there is an 80% chance of getting diabetes in the future if you have gestational diabetes. More of a personal challenge above anything.

So, my goal, for a month(and yes, my husband has very willingly volunteered to travel this journey with me) is to have one dessert a week. For some this is a simple task, but for me....lets just say it will be a challenge. But I love challenges and want to see how creative I can get with eating a little healthier.

P.S. I often find myself thinking about the documentry "Food Inc.". It is very eye opening and really has made me reflect on the things I choose to eat. No, I"m not one to be fanatical about every bite I take but wow, my eyes sure have been opened after watching this documentry. Check it out, I think everyone should see it.

So here's to a little less sugar and lots of creativity in the kitchen (and happy music a to keep me going along the way...I love listening to music while i'm cooking or cleaning in the kitchen).

7 comments:

Chelsi said...

Lore you are such a great example! I don't usually crave sweets (it's more the salty stuff like chips and crackers that are my weaknesses), but the last few weeks have been full of sugar cravings. Woke up this morning thinking about how I can do better and then I saw your wonderful post.

Thank you!! You can do it and I will do it right along with you :)

You rock Lore!

Emily and Nathan said...

Good Luck! I personally don't have the will power. and the picture of brownies is now making my mouth water. I am thinking brownies tonight! : )

We passed Kiwanis park yesterday and Amie said that is where my friend Dalan had his party.

Pamela Brown said...

Good for you, that is so awesome!!!! I am way too addicted to sugar to do that. Sugar can do a lot of damage to the body, it is almost as bad as a drug, actually they should just
call it the Mormon Mommy drug :) Good luck, and if you find any really good sugar replacement foods let me know :)

Have a wonderful day!!

Whitney said...

You are amazing, Lore! You can do it! And I will try to help as best as I can. Like today, I made some pb cookies, and I thought about bringing you some but then I remembered this post and thought that no way these were good enough to be your once a week dessert. :) So I didn't bring you any ... wasn't that nice of me ?! I can't wait to hear about your weekly desserts and how delicious they will be. Best of luck!

Noelle said...

This brownie i'm eating right now is just SO GOOD. MHmmmm..

hehe.

Good luck sis.

Jolie said...

I bet you're gonna defeat your "sugar demons" because you are a strong person! You just have to tell that naughty shoulder angel to stop tempting you when he shows his ugly face. ;-)
I too need to reduce the amt. of sugar in my diet.
Great post. Good luck!

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

Ya good luck with that! I wished I had the restraint to do that. I really need to watch myself too! I did have gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies!! And it also runs in my family. Good point!