The day started at 2:30am (our time). Dustin got up and ate about 600 calories to prepare for the race. We got our stuff together and dropped Dustin off to get bussed to the swim area. he was nervous, anxious and so excited to get this race started.
These scuba divers are preparing for their search for any "lost" or to put it more bluntly "Dead or nearly dead" victims of the swim beneath the waters. A little bit eery, I must admit. Because there is such a massive amount of swimmers trying to get in front, many athletes get swam over if not strong enough or fast enough. It is the true reality of "survival of the fittest" Dustin said he had to kick a few guys pretty hard because they were trying to pull his legs and feet. It is quite the battle out there.
Dustin's Raisin feet after the race was finished. This picture doesn't do justice to how "raisiny" his feet looked. From all the sweating...his feet turned to mush.
Gabe and Megan drove all the way from Salt lake that day to watch Dustin finish. It meant so much to us that they came. It was so fun to spend time together and see them. We love you so much Gabe and Megan!!!!!
It was an amazing weekend for the both of us. My mom watched the kids for us while we were able to "getaway" and enjoy ourselves, while also heal together from everything. What an inspiring day it was to watch so many people achieve their goals!
A video I made for Dustin of his IRONMAN race.Enjoy!
I love this guy SO much. He did such a crazy, amazing job finishing the hardest Ironman in the world. Let me just say it was super intense preparing and watching this race. These people were so "head-strong"
Some of the most inspiring moments were:
-watching the man with a prosthetic "blade" competing in the race
-cheering the military men on as they ran the marathon while carrying an American Flag
-watching the Navy Seal cross the finish line. Everyone stood and completely cheered him on. (gives me the chills everytime I think about it)
-watching an average Dad, stop and pick up his little 3 yr. old son so they could cross the finish line together.
Most inspiring of all :
-Watching my man cross the finish line knowing all the work that went into it. So many sacrifices, all while balancing school, work and family.
I love you so much Dustin Smart and couldn't be more proud!
7 comments:
So incredible! Congratulations, Dustin! He looks amazing, even when he was done he looks like he could have kept going. I know a lot of people cross that finish line and just collapse. What an accomplishment. Love the video.
Way to go Dustin!!!! That is so awesome, watching those Iron mans are truly inspiring. I am glad that you guys were able to get away and heal, I love how he had Kai's name on his arm for inspiration. You guys are so amazing, Thinking about you guys!!!!
Hope this doesn't sound to cheesy, but I got all teary-eyed reading that. It takes a lot of time and energy to train for and then compete in events like this. And knowing what it feels like to finish a marathon, I can sort of guess what Dustin felt like at the end of that race!! It really is an amazing accomplishment for him!
What an amazing accomplishment! I got teary eyed reading this too. Such a great, inspiring feat.
Whoop-Whoop! Dustin you are an inspiration! What an amazing thing to accomplish--and I know that Lore, and Kai, were with you every step of the way!! Here's to many more....
Dustin is seriously a beast! Such dedication. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. SHOOT! haha. Such an incredible goal that he accomplished! He's inspiring!!
This is so incredible! Both of you amaze me. So interesting what the human body is capable of if you are able to train and push yourself to this limit! I am seriously so impressed. :)
Post a Comment